Pesticide exposure in infants

During the “flea season” many people resort to commercial pesticides to control fleas in their homes. Pesticide instructions indicate that it is safe to reenter the treated house after two hours, but a study done at Rutgers University indicates that pesticide levels close to the floor, where infants or young children crawl or walk are significantly higher than on the adult level. Pesticide residuals remained even 24 hours post application. The pesticides may be absorbed by inhaling the pesticide or by skin absorption. Ventilated rooms cleared more rapidly than closed rooms. (American Journal of Public Health 80:689-693, June, 1990) We feel that only non-toxic approaches should be used in any home where there are infants or young children.

Copyright 1990 Phylis Austin

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: